Wednesday, November 28, 2007

ActNow BC Activity Challenge Week 1

Here are the stats for Team T.A.L.C. (5 members) Week 1 Nov. 18-24
NOTE: Steps are not total steps in a day but actual exercise steps.

Total Team Steps: 80,997
Total Team KM: 62
Team Average: 16,199
Most steps: Claire! Way to go with 31,589 exercise steps!
My Steps: 6019 O.K. so she blew me out of the water! I'll get you next time Claire! LOL

The BC ActNow Challenge counts all steps in a day, but the person that is heading it up in my community has changed it to actual exercise steps. It's a real pain because I have to remember to put the pedometer on all the time when I go for a walk or do other exercises. Oh well!

The following is some info that I thought you might be interested in. It was taken from the ActNow BC website.

There are lots of great, easy ways to be active that don’t involve classes or special equipment. Walking, shopping, gardening, housework… these are just a few examples of how you can build healthy activities into your daily routine.

10,000 Steps
Most people walk 4,000 - 6,000 steps in an average workday. Boosting that to 10,000 steps a day (about 8 kilometres) can promote better health – but it might be too much for some of us.
For example, healthy older adults are advised to walk about 6,000 - 8,500 steps per day, while people with disabilities and chronic diseases might be more comfortable walking 3,500 - 5,000 steps per day. For a more frail, elderly or chronically ill adult, the number of recommended steps depends on how they feel. These are only guidelines: every step counts!

To make it easier to count your steps, use a pedometer. Pedometers are small, easy-to-use devices that clip to your waistband and count the number of steps you take. They are great motivational tools that help you track your progress.

Add more steps to your day
For short trips, leave the car at home and walk instead.
Mow the lawn.
Work in the garden.
Park farther away rather than looking for the closest spot.
Walk some or all of the way to work.
Walk the kids to school.
Get off the bus a stop early and walk the rest of the way.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Go for a walking lunch break with your co-workers.
Use the 'green gym' – parks and green spaces where you live.
Walk the dog instead of letting it out in the back yard.
Put away the remote controls and get up to change the TV or radio channel.

So I guess my 6019 exercise steps plus all the steps I do in a average day of cleaning the house etc... might bring me close to the 10,000 mark. I should put my pedometer on all day and see if it does. :-) Hope this info helps and gets you motivated to start counting your steps in a day. Happy Walking!!! :-)

Click here for more posts about ActNow BC Activity Challenge

1 comment:

Randi said...

I've thought about getting a pedometer and trying to do this once before. Now that my weight seems to be steadily creeping up, maybe I should do more than think about it :-)